Birkat Kohanim-Saving Face

Topic Details and Replies

• intomeaning 1 year ago

מצוה ראשונה ממצוות לא תעשה, שלא לעלות במחשבה שיש שם אלוה זולתי ה’, שנאמר “לא יהיה לך אלוהים אחרים, על פניי שמות כ,ב; דבריםה,ו

“The first mitzvah of the negative commandments is not to consider the thought that there is another divinity aside from God, as [Exodus 20:3] states: ‘You shall have no other gods before Me.’” Rambam Mishneh Torah

I read לא יהיה לך אלוהים אחרים, על פניי as “You Shall not have other powers on your face.” It seems to me the idea of avodah zara[1] (strange worship) is a way of carrying oneself. One’s demeanor can, God forbid, express the absence of God and the belief in other, strange powers. The story of Cain and Hevel seems to demonstrate Cain rejecting Hashem, וְאֶל־קַ֥יִן וְאֶל־מִנְחָת֖וֹ לֹ֣א שָׁעָ֑ה וַיִּ֤חַר לְקַ֙יִן֙ מְאֹ֔דוַֽיִּפְּל֖וּ פָּנָֽיו׃ “but to Cain and his offering [God] paid no heed. Cain was much distressed and his face fell.” (Genesis 4:5). Birkat kohanim seems to be a protection from this. We say יָאֵ֨ר יְהֹוָ֧ה ׀ פָּנָ֛יו אֵלֶ֖יךָ, “May Hashem shine His face to you.” I have in mind while reciting this that one should be protected from thoughts and demeanors that are anti-Hashem. May we merit God’s face shining through ours no matter what we have to face.

[1] My Rebbe, Rabbi Simcha Weinberg shlit’a, quotes the book Alei Shor Volume 2, explaining the term avodah zara. While avodah zara is generally translated as idol worship, it means to worship a strange part of myself.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PIP WIX Home Forums Tefillah strategies Birkat Kohanim-Saving Face

• You must be logged in to create new topics.