A Mitzvah to Pray- “Walk in Hashem’s Ways”

Topic Details and Replies

• Michal 2 years ago

The Rambam states[1] that we have a Mitzvah to imitate Hashem, “להדמות בו” according to our ability based on the verse that states, “And Walk in His Ways”[2].

We are taught an incredible concept in the G’marra, in which Hashem is described as being Mespallel.  Hashem Davens![3]

Therefore  when we daven we are actually fulfilling the Mitzvah of וְהָלַכְתָּ֖ בִּדְרָכָֽיו.

The Gmarra goes on and explains something I find fascinating.

“What does Hashem pray? 

“Rav Zutra bar Tovia said that Rav said: 

God says:

May it be My will that My mercy will overcome My anger towards Israel for their transgressions,

and may My mercy prevail over My other attributes through which Israel is punished,

and may I conduct myself toward My children, Israel, with the attribute of mercy,

and may I enter before them לִפְנִים מִשּׁוּרַת הַדִּין.”

The concept of Hashem davening for us is something that I find so beautiful and it moves me.  There seems to be so much to learn from this idea.

There are several different aspects to His Davening Kaviyochal that I think worth exploring.

• There is a theme of davening to have Rachmanus.
      • There is a theme of davening to override attributes through which punishments are meted out to Klal Yisroel
      • There is a theme of davening to override anger even when we make mistakes
      • There is a theme of davening for His Children.
      • There is a theme of acting לִפְנִים מִשּׁוּרַת הַדִּין.

My Questions:

Q: Why does Hashem need to daven for such things?

Q: Why not just make it happen, He is Hashem?

Q: What are we supposed to learn from these prayers?

Q: Based on the way Hashem davens, can we daven similarly?

Q: What does the verse in Devarim promise to someone who walks in His Ways?

Q: Does this change how we are to daven for our children?

Q: Is the Middah of Rachamim something we therefore need to daven for?

Q: Why the Middah of Rachamim and acting לִפְנִים מִשּׁוּרַת הַדִּין towards us the two Middos Hashem chooses to daven for?

So, I daven to gain an understanding to my questions, apply and use.

May we all daven with the awareness of our opportunity to emulate Him when we daven for true attachment to  Our Creator Biezras Hashem.

[1] Sefer Hamitzvos (Rambam)

[2] Devarim 28:9

[3] Berakhot 7a- אָמַר רַבִּי יוֹחָנָן מִשּׁוּם רַבִּי יוֹסֵי: מִנַּיִן שֶׁהַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא מִתְפַּלֵּל? שֶׁנֶּאֱמַר: ״וַהֲבִיאוֹתִים אֶל הַר קָדְשִׁי וְשִׂמַּחְתִּים בְּבֵית תְּפִלָּתִי״, ״תְּפִלָּתָם״ לֹא נֶאֱמַר, אֶלָּא ״תְּפִלָּתִי״, מִכָּאן שֶׁהַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא מִתְפַּלֵּל

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PIP WIX Home Forums Pray and Tell (Q&A) A Mitzvah to Pray- “Walk in Hashem’s Ways”

• You must be logged in to create new topics.