Trust , Truth, and Divine Providence- Al Hatzadikim

Topic Details and Replies

• Michal 1 year ago

When I was looking at the words of this prayer on Al Hatzadikim in the Amidah prayer, the wording struck me:

I was struck by this phrase: וְתֵן שָׂכָר טוֹב לְכָל הַבּוֹטְחִים בְּשִׁמְךָ בֶּאֱמֶת, Grant reward that is good for all those who trust in Your name in truth. 

Why does it say לְכָל הַבּוֹטְחִים בְּשִׁמְךָ בֶּאֱמֶת, for all those who trust in Your Name in truth. Why does the phrase have the descriptive of בֶּאֱמֶת?  Why is it necessary?  Why not just say for all those who trust in Your Name?  

I saw an idea from  Rav Rafael ben Zecheria Mendel , a commentary on Chovos Halivavos that I thought was very practical. 

He says: “When a person realizes that Hashem knows the truth, whether what comes out of his lips is the same as what is in his heart, it would not be plausible for him to state that he truly trusts Hashem when his heart is not with him, meaning when his trust is not authentic.”

The bitachon one has in Hashem goes hand in hand with the Hashgacha Hashem provides.  If one trusts in something else other than Hashem, the Hashgacha is removed chas vishalom for the person and is a chilul Hashem.  

In other words the words of the siddur are alerting us to pause and remember the following:

(1) Hashem Knows the truth of what is going on in our thoughts at every moment.  And, if we stop and remember this, we can hopefully daven with our heart and lips authentically trusting in Hashem for this prayer to be genuine. 

(2) To Trust only in Hashem, and this triggers Hashem’s Hashgacha, and this triggers a Kiddush Hashem. 

May  Hashem grant us the zechus of being those who place our Bitachon in Him in Emes biezras Hashem.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PIP WIX Home Forums Tefillah inspiration Trust , Truth, and Divine Providence- Al Hatzadikim

• You must be logged in to create new topics.