Shir Hamaalos: Antidote to the Enemy’s Chatter

Topic Details and Replies

• Partners in Prayer 3 months ago

“I called out and I was answered,”

In the first of fifteen Song of Ascents, (שִׁיר הַמַּעֲלוֹת) Dovid Hamelech sings,  Dovid Hamelech, our Rebbie, and Master, teaches us according to the Alshich as I understand him, that when Lashon Hara is spread about Klal Yisrael it is actually a moment we can use to activate Hashem’s Salvation, from our enemies who are pursuing us. 

Rather than feeling hopeless and in despair at such vile speech spreading rapidly and seemingly so powerfully,  we can emulate Dovid Hamelech’s tefillah of : בַּצָּרָתָה לִּי קָרָאתִי וַיַּעֲנֵנִי, In “My distress” I called out and I was answered.  (tehillim 120)

The holy Alshich teaches us that three deaths are incurred through Lashon Hara. 

The speaker, the receiver and the subject of Lashon Harah.

However the subject of Lashon Harah is not equal to the degree of trouble or suffering incurred as a result of the Lashon Harah.

The ones who speak and accept Lashon hara suffer a spiritual, soul loss but the subject of Lashon Hara only suffers body, or physical loss only.  

This is why Dovid Hamelech says to Hashem, בַּצָּרָתָה לִּי קָרָאתִי וַיַּעֲנֵנִי, in my suffering I called out and was answered. Meaning, “my suffering”, is referring to his physical body, as he is being pursued, and chased , but no bad can really have any power over him. It is with ease that “I” am saved, according to Dovid Hamelech.  He teaches, “I call out to Hashem, and in my calling out Hashem already has answered me.”

The Alshich teaches, that not only is he saved because he has not spoken or accepted Lashon Harah but also because he is the subject of Lashon Hara, and therefore he can go to Hashem and say:  בַּצָּרָתָה לִּי, I am suffering, and Hashem will have already answered in such a situation. 

Meaning, when we know we are being spoken of in this way, we can immediately invoke this tefillah to Hashem of : בַּצָּרָתָה לִּי קָרָאתִי וַיַּעֲנֵנִי, in “My” suffering I called out to Hashem, and even before we complete our Tefillah, it will be answered and we are saved. 

May we be zoche to be protected from both speaking Lashon Hara and accepting it especially in this time of Din. 

May we use this exact time, however to invoke this formula of prayer used when we are the subject of lashon Harah; בַּצָּרָתָה לִּי קָרָאתִי וַיַּעֲנֵנִי, for a very easy saving of our nation, our soldiers, our hostages, from any physical or spiritual harm of or enemies as taught to us by Dovid Hamelech according to the holy Alshic biezras Hashem

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PIP WIX Home Forums Tefillah strategies Shir Hamaalos: Antidote to the Enemy’s Chatter

• You must be logged in to create new topics.