Prayer of Tachanunim, (Beseeching)  Shmiras Halashon (Part II)

Topic Details and Replies

• Michal 2 years ago

Using תַחֲנוּנִים – “tachanunim”to master Shmiras Halashon

When Moshe Rabeinu prayed for Miriam, when she had Tzaraas for lashon Harah, Moshe employed the approach of  תַחֲנוּנִים , imploring, or beseeching Hashem in his prayer when he cried out to Hashem and said, “אֵ֕ל נָ֛א רְפָ֥א נָ֖א לָֽהּ” “Please, Hashem, The Source of all powers, Please extend healing for her” [1]  Chazal describe this as “תַחֲנוּנִים” ”[2].

There is a verse in Daniel that uses the word “תַחֲנוּנִים” , when describing Daniel’s prayer[3]. The Alshich writes something I find life changing when he says that a person should organize his requests, his words of prayer in such a way that the words are pleasant and beautifully prepared before The King of all kings, so that it can be heard[4].  This is his opening sentence in describing this process of Daniel’s תַחֲנוּנִים.

I think that preparing one’s speech so that it can be “heard”, and the words are beautiful before Our King of all kings, is the formula for Shmiras Halashon, especially if we can do it in our prayers so then we can practice that in the world Biezras Hashem.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that Moshe Rabeinu used this when dealing with his sister’s illness of Tzaraas for lashon Hara.

May we all be Zoche to follow the guidance of Moshe Rabeinu, of Daniel as described by the Holy Alshich.

[1] וַיִּצְעַ֣ק מֹשֶׁ֔ה אֶל־יְהוָ֖ה לֵאמֹ֑ר אֵ֕ל נָ֛א רְפָ֥א נָ֖א לָֽהּ  (Bamidbar 12:13)

[2] Sifrei, Bamidbar 105, and Rashi on this verse (Bamidbar, 12:13)

[3] וָאֶתְּנָ֣ה אֶת־פָּנַ֗י אֶל־אֲדֹנָי֙ הָֽאֱלֹהִ֔ים לְבַקֵּ֥שׁ תְּפִלָּ֖ה וְתַחֲנוּנִ֑ים בְּצ֖וֹם וְשַׂ֥ק וָאֵֽפֶר׃ (Daniel, 9:3)

[4] ודרך שתשמע תפלתו ותענה עתרתו ראשונה יסדר דברי תפלה ובקשה בדברים נאים ונאותים מתקבלים לעלות על רצון מלך מלכי המלכים

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PIP WIX Home Forums Tefillah strategies Prayer of Tachanunim, (Beseeching)  Shmiras Halashon (Part II)

• You must be logged in to create new topics.